Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

Our Rabbit has just chewed through a live power cable and

Customer Question

Hi Our Rabbit has just chewed through a live power cable and his bottom two teeth have turned black And his tongue looks burnt also
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Burns are certainly painful. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Rabbit's name and age?
Customer: Rabbit's name is ***** ***** he is 1 year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Princey?
Customer: No He's a normal healthy rabbit Normally
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

How long ago did this happen?

Can Princey eat at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No he's not eating anything, just putting some water in him but has not eaten anything since
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just happened 20 minutes ago
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We've wrapped him in a towel but he's making a few noises (never made before) assume he's in pain but not sure what to do
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Oh dear,

Now the problem here is that electric burns are of course going to painful and often will put animals off their food. And that is something a rabbit cannot afford (since they can be high risk of gastric stasis). Furthermore, while the devitalized teeth are a concern as well, a bigger one that you won't readily see is possible non-cardiogenic shock from this.

With this all in mind, we have an emergency situation here. We want him to the local ER vet now. They can start pain relief and check for shock signs. If present, they can be treated for. If the burns are severe, then it would also be worth discussing feeding tubes since otherwise you likely will need to syringe feed past that wounded tongue for the next few weeks until this heals and he can eat on his own. And by that point we will be able to see if the teeth need to be removed or can be salvaged.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ or

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.