Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 9 year old Border Collie just had what looked like a

Customer Question

My 9 year old Border Collie just had what looked like a seizure, walking around with great difficulty, erratic movements, drooling. Lasted for about 2 minutes. She seems ok now. What do we do next? (this was the first time I observed this)
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. Sometimes a dog just has one fit for no apparent reason and then no more occur and the dog then stays healthy after that, and a reason for the fit is never established. For that reason some owners just elect to observe their dogs if just one fit occurs and then take the dog to be checked by the vet if further fits or other symptoms occur.

2. However as long as your dog is acting normally now and stays that way a better approach would be to have your vet check your dog over at the next available regular hours appointment. There are sometimes trivial reasons for seizures in older dogs but sometimes it can be the first sign of various neurological diseases, even brain tumours. So best have her checked over ...

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her seizure ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.