Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

My bunny who's 4 years old left side is swollen. Including

Customer Question

Hello, my bunny who's 4 years old left side is swollen. Including her eyes and there's a yellow discharge from it. I notice it this morning but I thought she was cleaning herself. Tonight when I got home I took her out because she was just sitting in rte corner and usually she comes to me when I call her. Very worried for her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bunny?
Customer: She's still eating some food and urinating. Her head is completely tilted to the left. Her left eye is swollen and red.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

Is she passing stool?

Can you post a picture of what you are seeing?

Is she holding her ear down?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's still passing stool. Not she's not holding her ear. She's eating a bit.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. There is some type of Bacterial infection going on. The head tilt is Torticollis and can be a result of an inner ear infection. I suspect there may be a tooth root infection that is causing the swelling causing the the eye to be having the discharge, the swelling and possibly affecting the ear to cause the head tilt. Please use some sterile saline in the eye to keep itn lubricated and clear. This is some information on Torticollis:

With all that is going on, the Rabbit needs to be seen by a Rabbit savy Vet. She will need a rabbit safe antibiotic to get her feeling better. Please be prepared to do emergency feeding if she stops eating. That could compound the problems you are already seeing by causing a GI stasis. You can grind the pellets and mix with a garden Veggie baby food and add a little banana baby food and syringe feed if needed.

This is a link for Rabbit Vets that can help find one who can treat your girl:

My Goal is to assist you and your Rabbit. My goal is to give excellent service and earn a 5 star rating. If you have any concerns on this information please hit reply and I will be back to you asap.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

How is your Rabbit doing? Were you able to have the Vet look at the Rabbit and treat it. Please let me know.