Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

My rabbit has been sneezing and what sounds like weeping for

Customer Question

My rabbit has been sneezing and what sounds like weeping for about 3 months now. I figured it was a cold and it would go away but nothing. She has not gotten wet and lives in the house.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if your rabbit has had upper airway signs for three months, this isn't just a cold and we need to get to the root of this. It is possible that it is an allergy reaction to something in the house. This could be dusty bedding or hay but also any sprays/powders/treatments you may use at home. Furthermore, we can see persisting signs of this nature with resistant bacterial infections (ie Snuffles) walking pneumonia (often due to mycoplasma), or respiratory polyp (or possible tumor if she is older).

With this all in mind, you will want to trial your wee one on paper based litter and consider soaking her hay if it is dusty. Any household products like those mentioned should also be removed. But if you do this and her signs don't settle, then a check up with her vet would be indicated to check for these other concerns and clear any present for her. If you don’t already have a rabbit vet, and wish to find one near you, by checking ther

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi [email protected],

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.