Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I work in Liberia West Africa and there is not a Vet who can

Customer Question

I work in Liberia West Africa and there is not a Vet who can perform a spay procedure on the female pups. I have heard of a shot that will chemically sterilize. Will you tell me more and possibly how I could obtain to take with me?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. Your situation is certainly unique and I am grateful you are looking for the information you need to try to do the best you can for these puppies.

You are correct that there is a shot that is used to chemically sterilize dogs, and it has been used successfully. It's called Zeuterin, and you can read more about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeuterin

Unfortunately, this product is not going to be helpful in your situation for several reasons:

• It is only capable of sterilizing MALE dogs, not females
  • It has to be injected into each testicle, which requires some degree of sedation/anesthesia
  • It can only be sold for use by licensed veterinarians
  • There is a learning curve and specialized training is required for proper administration without which it is not likely to work.
  • It is struggling/failing on the commercial market and is generally not available any longer

So, unfortunately, while you may have heard of a way to sterilize a dog with an injection, the product will not be available to you or helpful in your situation.

The only way to sterilize these puppies is with a traditional surgical spay, I'm afraid. I wish there was a different option, but there is not.

So sorry I don't have better news for you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you. Just type in your response and I'll reply. I want you to be satisfied with the information I've provided (even though I could not give you good news) so you can give me a positive rating. Without that, I receive no compensation for helping you.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.