Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a rabbit whose right eye had discharge this morning.

Customer Question

I have a rabbit whose right eye had white discharge this morning. I rushed him to our vet where they flushed his sinuses, getting a lot of it out. They've given him baytril and eye drops. He's eating, but a little less enthusiastically than usual. I've just noticed his nose is really very swollen too. Could this just be the infection, or something more serious needing me to rush him back to the vet, please?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the rabbit can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: His name's ***** ***** he's 3.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about 's?
Customer: I don't think so, he's normally healthy and living with his wife.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was the nose swollen before treatment?

Do you mean at the nostrils or over the base?

Was he started on any pain relief or anti-inflammatories?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If the nose was swollen beforehand, it wasn't noticeable. It's just his nostrils, his upper lips are fine. It looks a bit like a nose from an Asterix comic.He's just on Baytril and eyedrops at the moment, though we do have some Loxicom at home if that would help in the meantime. I can't take a photo I'm afraid - it's dark out and we've just stressed him out a while ago with his evening medication.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

No worries if you cannot get a photo. I just wanted to confirm that we didn't have any risk of dental involved tooth root abscesses. In any case if it is the nostrils that are swollen, then this may just be secondary nasal tissue inflammation. Had it been over the bridge of the nose, then an associated abscess would be a worry.

Now your vet’s treatment so far has been spot on. Though if the swelling is dramatic or impeding his breathing, then we may need to consider using the Loxicom (provided it was dispensed for his weight, in date, and he is eating). Otherwise, we'd need to ring his vet about dispensing more or a gut safe alternative if he wasn't eating (just since this drug can upset empty stomachs).

Otherwise, just to note, if this isn’t reducing in the face of the Baytril and Loxicom treatment, then we’d need to plan to have his vet sample the discharge for culture and sensitivity. This is where the lab grows the bacteria present and test what drugs it is sensitive to. That way we can ensure we are using the best option for clearing this and getting the swelling and discharges settled for Arthur. It isn't something we'd rush to just yet, but to keep in mind if we find those above treatments not enough to settle this for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Dr. B, we really appreciate your advice!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

I am glad to be of help and wish you both the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.