Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Baby raccoon is about 3 wks and he has not pooped since

Customer Question

Baby raccoon is about 3 wks and he has not pooped since yesterday, he is on kitten milk replacer I have tried rubbing his tummy and rubbing his poop shout, I'm really being to worry . He eats well and is active. Please help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the baby?
Customer: The last feeding I changed to purified water, because I thought maybe it was the chemical in the watwr
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now I do share your concern here.

Therefore, we do want to take some gentle steps to see if we can get feces moving more readily. Further to making sure to have regular stimulation/fecal encouragement checks through the day, I would advise adding Pedialyte or a bit more water to him current feeds. You can even offer Pedialyte feeds between milk ones. The aim is that this can help dissolve constipation due to our artificial milk's density (since nothing is better then mum's milk at the end of the day). And if we can do that, we may see feces start moving again.

Otherwise, we would want to consider some gentle GI lubrication. In regards ***** ***** options you can use here, you can first try adding a small dose of cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) to your feedings. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of feces out of the rectum. . Alternatively, you can add a few drops of Miralax, lactulose or mineral oil into the milk to again just encourage him to pass feces from the inside. Do be aware that this can make his stools a bit loose, so we'd stop these as soon as he went.

Finally, if you see any straining, then we may need to consider an enema. If we do need to, your vet can dispense an easy to give one that is safe for animals (ie Microlax). Otherwise, you can do this by gently syringing a few milliliters (2-5ml) of a combination of luke warm water with soap or KY jelly mixed in. Warm soapy enemas can lubricate the gut from that end and can just help get things moving if they are being stubborn.

Overall, we do need to tread with care in these situations since they are so delicate at this age. Therefore, consider the above treatment options. If we get stool moving comfortably, we are happy. Though if you see any straining or no feces despite the above, then we'd want to consider potentially using a gentle enema to clear as much of the gut out as possible or having him seen by your vet so that we can settle this as quickly as possible for your wee one.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )