Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

I have had my greyhound at the vets for the most part of

Customer Question

I have had my greyhound bitch at the vets for the most part of this week, she is a 6 year old ex-racing bitch.
She was off her food and appeared stiff around 12 days ago, I gave her metacam for 3 days and she was fine, she was and was taken off the metacam, after 2 days off the metacam she got worse very quickly, her symptoms are as follows:
Lethargic,
VERY sore chest
loss of weight
Loss of appetite
Struggling to stand by herself
arched back when walking
I had her Xrayed on her full body and only some very small spots of arthritis showed, she also had blood tests taken which were clear, is there anything that matches these symptoms?
She is back on metacam and also gabapentin medreich
Thanks
Tom
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your greyhound is struggling like this. Has the gabapentin and metacam helped?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

An arched back can indicate back pain from things that do not show up on Xrays, such as pinched nerve roots and bulging interverterbral discs. Some times steroids and muscle relaxants are needed in these cases if nonsteroidals like metacam do not help.

Did she have a fever? Is she spayed?

Have any blood tests been done? There are infections and tick borne diseases that could cause these symptoms. If she has a fever (103 or higher), or an elevated white blood cell count, I might try antibiotics such as doxycycline and/or clindamycin.

Are her gums pink or pale in color?