Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My cat got in a fight several weeks ago with a feral cat,

Customer Question

My cat got in a fight several weeks ago with a feral cat, seemed to hurt her left back leg...she was limping badly. We took her to the vet who gave her 3 pills (one a day) of an anti-inflamatory med and some liquid pain med (squirt 2 x a day...she hates it). Now she sometimes limps in the morning, usually pretty much ok by afternoon. Vet manipulated her leg and said it was not broken. I think it's arthritis and nothing much we can do. My partner thinks it could be worse....cancer or? should we get an exray (we know it's not broken)? or just wait this out?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: Thanks. no, not a fall.....a fight with a feral cat.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Gracie is her name. Not a fracture according to Vet we took her to.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?
Customer: no...she's a pretty healthy, fairly old (about 13) cat.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Gracie. In a situation like this, if this limping seems to be going on for this time out, it would be a very good idea to get an x-ray done. Could it be a pelvic fracture or a hip fracture that was just missed? On palpation, these are not always apparent. Could this be arthritis? That is a possibility given her age, but I would take the x-rays as a precautionary step to see if there is something more. The x-rays can screen for underlying cancer of the bone. I'll be honest here and say that dogs are more typical for this than cats. But, anything is unfortunately possible. IF there isn't any thickening / swellings with the leg, then it would seem less likely that cancer is there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks....Martha B

I'm hoping for the best for this girl. Can you think of any other questions you may have?