Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

In the last two week I noticed my 9yr neutered female cat

Customer Question

Hello in the last two week I noticed my 9yr neutered female cat pooing outside of her clean litter box. I added more litter, same brand I always use. The litter box has been in place for almost 3 years. She seems to go on my nice rugs and at night. I took her to the vet for another issue (scratching), upset stomach and they gave her an antibiotic for a UTI. I suspected she was having another UTI causing the need to go poo outside her box. Its 4 different events and its driving my crazy. I don't want to cage her at night with a litter box. She's from a shelter and I don't want her to have bad memories or think I don't love her, but I cant deal with the poo. Please help.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Is she still using the box for urine?

Any straining, passing small volumes, or changes to her urine (ie odor, color)?

Are her stools hard or diarrhea/soft?

Did this start before or after the antibiotics?