Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I'm approximately six weeks pregnant and I have an 11 week

Customer Question

Hi! I'm approximately six weeks pregnant and I have an 11 week old puppy and an indoor cat. I have a few concerns because, as I'm sure you know, puppies can be messy and a bit gross, which brings me to my concern... I have caught her a couple of times now with outdoor cat feces in her mouth and without knowing what the "foreign object" was at the time, I tried to pry it out of her mouth. (I'm assuming it's from a cat, however, it could also be from a raccoon or squirrel.) My concern is what is the likelihood of catching toxoplasmosis from disturbing the feces while removing it from her mouth and breathing in the (possible) toxo parasites, or even from just touching the poop (assuming the animal has it)?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, as we don't know the Toxoplasma status of those animals who's feces she is bringing to you, this is a real concern. Just to note, breathing in around the stool won't cause risk, but handling it can. Therefore, you would be best to see your doctor to be tested in case you have already been exposed. Otherwise, you need to take a cautious stance and plan to wear gloves any time you remove a mystery item from the puppies mouth. As well, good hand hygiene is key if you do accidentally handle animal fecal material.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )