Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog just swallowed a chicken bone

Customer Question

My dog just swallowed a chicken bone
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she swallowed the bone?

2- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
15 minutes
20 pounds

Friend, I am sorry I can not make a live call at this moment. But, I will have an answer for you shortly. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, as you may already know the concern with the ingestion of a chicken bone is the possibility of an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest or pass the bone in the stool without any problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bone can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
2- Do not induce vomiting.
3- Change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bone out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.
4- If at any point during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean her back into her regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.