Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

I have a 8 year old Shizuoka malted who drinks 3 litters of

Customer Question

I have a 8 year old Shizuoka malted who drinks 3 litters of water a day and urinats all night
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

How much does she weigh?

Is her urine watery or dilute?

Any weight loss, access to toxins, or is she on any medication?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1 3 weeks 2 6kg 3 clear 4 no
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Bindi's signs.

You are correct that she is drinking excessively here. In fact, her normal requirement should be closer to 300ml per day. So, to see increased thirst to this level along with clear/watery urine raises some serious concerns at her age. Specifically, we'd have to be worried about liver or kidney issues, metabolic diseases (ie diabetes, Cushings, Addisons, etc), and cancer (where some elevate the blood calcium to cause increased thirst).

With this all in mind, we do want to be proactive before further signs can develop. Ideally, we'd want to have her seen for a general blood test to start ruling our the above. We could use a urine sample (which you could collect and submit to her vet even without her being seen) to rule out kidney issues and get a hint of diabetes; but with the other concerns bloods would be the quickest way to pinpoint which issue is present. And once we know which one is, we can ensure we get her onto appropriate treatment to nip this in the bud.

Overall, Bindi's drinking is severely (nearly 5x) elevated and a red flag of the above concerns. So, a check with a blood test would be our best next step here to ensure we diagnose which of the above is present and start getting it under control for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )