Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog swallowed a fried chicken wing (whole). What do I

Customer Question

My dog swallowed a fried chicken wing (whole). What do I need to look for or do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. Please give me a few minutes I am typing your answer.

Friend, as you may already know the ingestion of chicken bones can cause an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest or pass the bones in the feces without any problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bones can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
2- Do not induce vomiting.
3- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bones out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.
4- If at any point during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Hi Ralph,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chip. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter