Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

My vet put my chihuahua on prescription diet l.d digestive

Customer Question

My vet put my chihuahua on prescription diet l.d digestive care as he just got out of hospital with pancreatititus. However I can't get him to eat it. Shud I wait till he's hungry enough to eat it?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had this diet down for him to eat?

Is he on any treatments just now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Vet prescribed this 2 days ago. Yes he is on several melds as well as heart mess because he has congestive heart failure
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

So, he has refused it for 2 days?

What anti-nausea/anti-vomiting medication, or appetite stimulants is he on just now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All I can get him to eat is boiled chicken and ric
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Will he take that for you at least?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he lugs it
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Loves it
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now we don't want to be starving him to get him to eat this diet, since that won't bode well with feeding him in the future. So, at this stage, you can try adding the rice and chicken into his food. If he eats that reliably, then we can wean down the chicken and then the rice over the next few weeks until he is accepting that diet alone (or you could feed a mix if you wished to). Otherwise, if he says he cannot be lured to eat the I/D, then we'd need to have his vet try him with Royal Canin Sensitivity Control or Gastrointestinal (low fat) to see if is more keen for those. Else in the worst case scenario, we'd need his vet to design a home cooked balanced option with a chicken and rice base to keep him eating and prevent him having future issues with his pancreas.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.