Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

My dog suffers with arthritus in her joints but has just

Customer Question

my dog suffers with arthritus in her joints but has just started yelping when she eats her food or picks up her ball. we have been taking her for walks on the beach and she goes in the water a lot could this be affecting her? I have had to lift her bowls up so she can eat comfortably/
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Is her discomfort when lowering her head to eat or pick up a ball? Or when she opens her mouth?

Does she eat comfortably when you do raise her bowls?

Is she on anything else for her joints?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She eat more comfortably when food was raised but she is eating normally again now. She is not on any other tablets. She yelped yesterday when she leant on her left shoulder which is prone to coming slightly out of the joint. Do you think the sea water is not helping?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I don't think the sea water necessarily is playing a role, unless it is very chilly and stiffening her joints in general.

Instead, if she already has issues with arthritis, then this could be related. Specifically (and with her being better with raised bowls), I'd be suspicious that she may have arthritis in her spine at the level of the neck. Other concerns that could also appear this way would be spinal disc disease, inflammation of the muscles at the jaw or neck, nerve compression or inflammation, and less commonly brain inflammation (where the back of the brain is compressed or pinched by the outlet of the skull). All can cause this sudden onset pain leading to yelping.

In this case, we'd want to keep the bowls elevated for ease of eating but we'd want to think about speaking to her vet about dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Rimadyl, Metacam, Onsior, etc) +/- muscle relaxants. If we can settle her with these, then she can remain on them as long as needed to keep her comfortable. Otherwise, we may want to xray her neck to determine if there is any arthritis present +/- MRI to check her spine and brain. Of course, depending on findings from those, the pain relief option may still be most appropriate but it would rule out other concerns that may need further treatment.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )