Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

My cat has some kind of accident deep ound to s tail can see

Customer Question

my cat has some kind of accident deep ound to his tail can see the bone
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he outdoors?

3- Is he licking the wound?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1. 1 day
2. no
3. yes

1- How did this wound occur?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- Does he ever go outside?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1. do not know he came home like it
2. tail is limp
3. yes

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
cat does not like to be touched he is obviously in pain

Friend, if the tail is limp is possible he could also have a fracture. Or, sustained enough tissue damage that may have damaged the nerve. Yes, he must be in pain. Unfortunately there is nothing over the counter that can be given to a cat for pain, all of those meds are toxic to cats. He will need to be seen by a veterinarian for a hands on examination, pain medication and oral antibiotics. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area. Do Not let him out with the ecollar on, he must stay indoors.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day. If you can not find this antimicrobial soap just flush the wound with plain water for a few minutes 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 10-14 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i thought the pdsa was there to help people who cann't afford a vet i live on disable benifit and can not afford to go to a vet

I am sorry you can not afford a vet. You will need to contact the pdsa, I can not answer for them. In the meantime follow the above recommendations.

Hi Angela,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter