Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He just 8 OMEPRAZOLE capsule, 18 pound male Silvertip tabby

Customer Question

He just 8 OMEPRAZOLE capsule
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 18 pound male Silvertip tabby cat
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the silvertip?
Customer: I just wanted to know is he going to be alright or should I take him to a vet after swallowing my medication that I already mentioned
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the silvertip will be able to digest that. What is the silvertip's name and age?
Customer: He's a cat Gizmo that's his name I don't know if this is a real site I need to find real information he's my kid
JA: How old is I?
Customer: 6 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about I?
Customer: It was OMEPRAZOLE DR 20mg capsule you know that he swallowed. It's for heartburn. Please let me know if I need to do something for him. He seems fine alert it's been over 10 minutes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Omeprazole is a remarkably safe drug even when overdosed. The LD 50 (the dose at which 50% of test subjects died) was an egregiously high 2000 mg/lb. I don't recommend inducing emesis. Potentially, transient GI distress (anorexia, colic, nausea, vomiting, flatulence, diarrrhea) could occur but unnecessary to treat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.