Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Gh respiratory rate 60 to 70, 16 year old min. Daschund,

Customer Question

High respiratory rate 60 to 70
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 16 year old min. Daschund
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the animal?
Customer: He has a high respiratory rate now. Does not seem in pain
JA: What is the's name?
Customer: Kirby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kirby?
Customer: He's old. 16
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

A respiratory rate above 30/minute while asleep or at rest is a danger sign for life-threatening cardiopulmonary disorders such as congestive heart failure, advanced sterile bronchitis (chronic obstructive pulomonary disease/COPD), and neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity in such an elderly doxi. It indicates the need for prompt attention by an on-call vet at your earliest convenience. I would expect Kirby's chest to be carefully auscultated (listened to) and X-rayed. Time is of the essence. Kirby will exhaust himself and/or become hyperthermic if his respiratory rate remains so elevated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.