Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I am aware that chocolate candy is fatal ..my question is:

Customer Question

I am aware that chocolate candy is fatal for dogs..my question is: Would the melted residue
From a dish of chocolate ice cream be harmful?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Good news!

In regards ***** ***** question, chocolate ice cream residue will have very little theobromine (the chocolate toxin). So, this would carry little risk and may only cause stomach upset if anything at all. So we'd need only keep an eye and could offer a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, or cottage cheese) if we did see any upset at all.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PROMPT ANSWER, NOT ONLY PROMPT BUT EXACTLY THE ANSWER I WAS HOPING FOR....
THE ICE CREAM IN QUESTION ISN'T EVEN COMPLETELY CHOCOLATE.... CARMEL AND CHOCOLATE GELATO...I LOVE IT AND SO DOES MY BODHI, BUT HAVE BEEN UNSURE TO SHARE THE BOTTOM OF THE BOWL...
P.S. SERVICE RATED: EXCELLENT. THANX AGAIN
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad I could give you peace of mind and again that residue isn't likely to cause any issue for your wee one. :)

Please take care,

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button (with the stars) at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hi Blair,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.