Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian
92155571

Racoon 6 - 8 wks old is constipated, stimulation not

Customer Question

Racoon 6 - 8 wks old is constipated, stimulation not working. Can I give enema? And how?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the raccoon's name and age?
Customer: Tiny she is 6-8 wks old still taking bottle.
JA: What is the raccoon's name?
Customer: Tiny is her name
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tiny?
Customer: No everything had been fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Tiny's troubles. Since she is still taking a bottle, you can add a few drops of mineral oil to the milk with each feeding to help her have a bowel movement. If that doesn't help after 1-2 feedings or is she is uncomfortable now, you can try an enema.

The easiest way is to position her at the edge of a sink or tub. Lubricate the anus with a little Vaseline. Using a small syringe and some warm water, place 1-2 ml of water into the rectum. You only have to insert the syringe tip. Gently massage the abdomen while doing this. Repeat until the feces break apart and can be passed.

I have heard that racoons have what is called a 'through and through' enema reflex where they can actually vomit their feces after an enema. I have never had it happen, but I just wanted you to be aware of the possibility.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!