Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

What would you prescribe dog with trachiobronchitis?

Customer Question

What would you prescribe for a dog with trachiobronchitis?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

In most cases, I let the tincture of time heal an otherwise normal dog. Most dogs remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks. If they worsen instead, the antibiotics of choice are doxycycline or amoxicillin/clavulanate - both of which Bordetella bronchiseptica is usually susceptible to. Bordetella is most often found as the primary infectious agent in cases of infectious tracheobronchitis. I avoid glucocorticosteroids such as prednisone because unless dosed at a low anti-inflammatory dose itmight immunosuppress my patient and make it that much more difficult to rid them of the infection. Chloramphenicol is likely to be effective against Bordetella but its potency should reserve it for when its absolutely necessary to use such a drug lest we inadvertently produce resistance to that antibiotic and it won't be valuable in the tough infections we have to deal with.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.