Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My 12 month old cocker spaniel who weighs 20 lbs ate a small

Customer Question

My 12 month old cocker spaniel who weighs 20 lbs ate a small amount of coleus. Didn't realize until she started having diahrea several times and vomited once. How toxic is this and is there anything I should do
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Coco has eaten some Coleus plant leaves and vomited and had diarrhea a couple hours later.

This plant is listed as a toxic plant by the ASPCA's toxic plant website. Its toxic principle is essential oils found in the plant which are a severe irritant to the gastrointestinal tract.
Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, lack of an appetite, lethargy, and sometimes bloody vomiting or diarrhea.

Since she has shown signs of gastrointestinal irritation with vomiting to try and settle her stomach tonight you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. You can use these for several days if need be.

Then food fast her for 12-18 hours (until dinner tomorrow). This should slow down intestinal spasms and slow her diarrhea.

After her food fast start a bland diet. A homemade bland diet to try is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken), all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. If she eats this well feed it for several days until her stools are normal and then slowly start mixing in her regular diet. It should take about a week to slowly convert her back to her regular diet.

The symptoms that you see will be based upon how many leaves she ingested and whether she has an especially sensitive gastrointestinal tract.

If you do see any bloody vomiting or diarrhea I recommend she see her veterinarian to get a prescription of a protective, coating medication called sucralfate

I would limit her access to these plants in the future.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not I would appreciate an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****