Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

MY snake,a 45 lbs Colombian red tail boa- 15 years old- is

Customer Question

MY snake,a 45 lbs Colombian red tail boa- 15 years old- is being treated with ceftriaxone for a tooth/mouth issue- Culture and Sensitivity were obtained- awaiting results- at the vet a small tooth was sticking out and we pulled it-
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the snake's name?
Customer: Tishamingo
JA: Huh?
Customer: Its a name we took from a movie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about We?
Customer: She has a small blister on the side of her body- only one - her eyes are clouding over as if she is going to shed which is typical and has been a while since she shed- 6mos- could the blister be a reaction to the antibiotic?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** will do my best to help with your question.

​Would you be able to upload a photo on here to give me a better idea of the blister? You can use the little paperclip button to upload a photo from your computer.

Roughly how far down her body is the blister, if the tip of her 'nose' is 0% and the end of her tail is 100%, and 50% is her exact middle? Do you recall if this was approximately the region that the vet gave the injection?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am at work right now therefore cannot take a picture. It is approx 50% down from her nose on the left lateral side of her body...
appx quarter sized maybe slightly larger. I did not notice any other blisters however she was slightly upset becuase I had just given her the injection of ceftriaxione (I am a nurse).
It is not at the region where the injections have been given- they have been around 25-30% from her nose
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Okay, sure. Does it appear fluid filled, or more like an air pocket?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We are thinking she may have hurt her mouth either on her last feed or in her enclosure...the tooth that came out was very clean looking and there was no odor or discoloration inside her mouth when examined- she has not had audible respirations, or open mouth breathing.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Fluid like-
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But to be honest I am not 100% sure it was fluid filled- I can take a picture in the morning--
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Okay. That would be good.

​Just in general, snakes can develop an imaginatively named condition called "blister disease" which can be due to a whole range of factors, including excessive enclosure dampness, burns, infection, skin infections, mites, bite wounds. If there is only one small blister and it is round and discrete, it would be worthwhile waiting and monitoring until the snake sheds as you may find it resolved with the shed. If it is still there or if you find new ones during that time, then further investigation and specific management of the likely contributors can be done.

But I'll let you know if your photo gives me any other ideas.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Excellent- I will follow up with the vet tomorrow as well but my nature is to worry and research as much as I can asap.. therefore
I will take the pic and send to you as well.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Okay. Sounds good!