Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our golden retriever will be six next month and out of the

Customer Question

Hi Pearl our golden retriever will be six next month and out of the blue today he started limping on his front left leg .. Appetite normal and acting ok otherwise ..breathing normally ..but limp worries me
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: We did .. Do not see anything obvious
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the golden retriever?
Customer: He is on levothyromxine daily .. That's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long has your dog been limping for? { How many days }

2. Are you aware of any traumatic event which could have led to the limping?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
If you are emailing me do not use my paypal address ! Use***@******.***
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I paid the $20

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below, I cannot change your email address at his point but I will contact the site admin after our conversation.

Hopefully this is something very minor such as a soft tissue injury such as a strain or sprain.

1. There would be many owners who if they suspected a soft tissue injury such as a strain or sprain would rest their dog for two or three days and give the likes of aspirin during this time, this is often successful. However if the dog returns to normal then all well and good but if it does not then you should get your vet involved as there is always the possibility of a more substantial injury or medical condition.

2. On a short term home remedy basis aspirin would be very much safer and more effective than the other human over the counter pain meds and indeed this is your only real choice. A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok how much aspirin can he have ?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
We have 81mg St Joseph's

Please tell me how much he weighs { In pounds } and I will be glad to work it out for you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his sudden onset limping ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.