Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in Small Animal Practice
21779527

My Lhasa Apso suddenly develop a red hardened area on the

Customer Question

My Lhasa Apso suddenly develop a red hardened area on the right side of his anus, warm to the touch. It is painful to him and he is a bit lethargic. There are a lot of bees out right now so I'm wondering if it sounds like a bee sting
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

There are glands on either side of the rectum.... 1 on each side.... called anal glands. These glands produce an oil that the dogs use for sent marking. You may be aware of them if your dog has had to have them emptied in the past. Because these gland are located in an area where there is a lot of bacteria (from the feces), they can become infected. Usually the abscessed/infected anal gland produces a warm, painful, often red swelling just to the side of the rectum. I suspect that this is what is going on. The abscess needs to be drained and he needs to be started on antibtiotics. If he is feeling okay then it is often something that can wait until normal veterinary hours. Sometimes it helps to apply a warm compress to the area. You can get a washcloth wet with hot water... hot, but not to hot to hold in your hand.... and apply it to the swelling an hold it in place for 2 minutes. Occasionally the abscess with actually break open and drain. This is a good thing... they usually feel better after it drains. If he is terrible painful or unwell then you might consider taking him in sooner or to an emergency vet, but if he is okay for now, try the compress and monitor him until you can get him in.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional question please let me know. Also, please don't forget to rate my answer. Best wishes!