Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

What happens if pilocarpine hydrochloride ophthalmic gets in

Customer Question

what happens if pilocarpine hydrochloride ophthalmic gets in the eye
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, I would first note that this is a treatment for Glaucoma. The way it works is once Pilocarpine gets into the eye It causes the muscles associated with the iris contract. When it does this, it will cause the pupil to get smaller and allows better drainage of the fluids in the eye. For eyes with glaucoma this will decreases the pressure inside thus helping treat glaucoma and preventing pain. Though if one gets this into their eye by mistake then we'd see short term constriction of the pupil but obviously little change to drainage since the eye isn't under high pressure like glaucomatous eyes are. Of course, if it were in the eye by accident, we'd want to thoroughly flush the eye with cool water to remove the drop and limit its effects.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.