Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I have a raccoon that has been in my yard the last few

Customer Question

I have a raccoon that has been in my yard the last few nights and she has an injured paw...rarely putting weight on it...holding it in the air when not moving....barely using it to eat..(bird feeder)...anything that can be done?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would like to assist you.

Unfortunately, there is no at home medications that can be given, because nobody legally can prescribe medications without seeing the animal. A Raccoon also can carry other diseases, so it is best that you do not try to handle it. With this being said, you have two choices to try and help him. One is contacting a wildlife rescue and they can trap him take him in and have him treated and they will either release if they can or put him in a safe sanctuary. The other Option is calling the local Animal Care and Control, who will also tarp the animal and get it to an animal rescue where again they can treat and care for him. If you can give me a State I can try and find soem animal rescues for you.

Joan