Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC

I have an 11year old cockatiel i got her when she was a

Customer Question

I have an 11year old cockatiel i got her when she was a baby. For many years life was good for her. I believe that birds were meant to fly so our house was her cage. We didnt have any other pets. Last Nov she became stressed and began to pluck her feathers under her wings . Icould see blood on her beak. We live in a small town the nearest place to take her was 80 miles away. I took her and they gave me stress medicine for her. I tried to give it to her but I couldnt. She bit the shringe and broke it, repeatedly turned her head, and I couldnt get her to open up her beak. All the medicine was on the outside of her. None inside and the fights wore us both out. I ended up taking her back to the animal clinic and boarding her for 2weeks so they could treat her. She got better and I brought her home. After 2 days the medicine wore off and she went right back to plucking. This treatment cost me $500. so Icant afford to do it again and it doesn't last. My bird has plucked most of the feathers out on her left wing. The animal clinic had to cut her flying feathers to keep her from getting away from them during treatment. That was more stress for her. She has lost weight and falls from my shoulder when I put her there . She has very little balance now. Her toenails need to be trimmed often now. She gets them caught on things in her cage and I have to help her get unstuck. These things are not my main concerns. My main concern is that I know she is in pain because she squaks loudly when she plucks also at night under her cover and her upper beak is beginning to grow long and soon she will not be able to eat unless I do something about it. I am considering having her euthanized but I hurt when I think about it. I dont know what to do. I am 69 and it is getting hard for me to take care of her and I have nobody that would take her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cockatiel?
Customer: she is attached to me and I feel that she would not do well anywhere else
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years and would like to help you with this situation. I realize how difficult it can be when you are struggling with what to do and what your options are for treatment of one you love so much. I do have some questions for you, if you have some time to discuss your situation further. If you are not available now, we can try to schedule at time that will work for both of our schedules. How does that sound to you?

Hello again. Do you still need help with your cockatiel?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Melanie Goble