Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in Small Animal Practice

My cats meow sounds weak like she is losing her voice. Her

Customer Question

My cats meow sounds weak like she is losing her voice. Her mouth has a couple polyp looking things. She's meowing a lot as seems uncomfortable. Spayed female approx 13 years old
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd lik to help with your question.Cats can loose their meow for a few reasons, but usually due to some kind of inflammation in their throat. This inflammation can be related to either bacterial or viral infections, can be causes by a tumor, or be related to polyps. The polyps that cats get are not uncommon, but they usually don't form in the mouth. They form in the throat and sometimes up into the sinuses. I wouldn't expect you to be able to see them by looking in her mouth. Actually, even under anesthesia we can't always see them... sometimes they are so deep that only an MRI will show them. I have also seen some cats with systemic disease, like kidney disease, lose their meow. I'm not sure in these cases what the mechanism is, but it does happen. The only way to know exactly what is going on is to sedate her and take a look in her throat. If you can take her to a veterinarian to do this that would be great. The only things that you can do at home that might help is to simply put her on a completely canned diet. This might reduce the irritation in her throat, but will no tell you what triggered the inflammation in the beginning.I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The polyp looking things are on the mouth. The soft tissue lower jaw just behind the canine teeth. Her breath is bad and she's scratching at her ear
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is a pic. I made an app for tomorrow however is there anything I can do to give her some relief? A drop or two of listerice maybe?
The picture didn't come through. A little bit of honey can help. I'm not sure what the listerice is made of....
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Listerine rather. I have honey on hand
Those are very strange. They don't look like anything cancerous because they are so symmetrical. They just look like inflamed tissue. I would stay away from the Listerine only because cats don't do well with the alcohol in it. Try the honey and see what your veterinarian says tomorrow.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your time. She is smacking on a Lil honey now.
I hope it helps!