Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

She eat a tube of A&D Ointment Original. She is peeing a lot.JA:

Customer Question

She eat a tube of A&D Ointment Original. She is peeing a lot.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: She is a mix weighing about 40 lbs
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes
JA: How old is D Ointment Original?
Customer: couple weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about D Ointment Original?
Customer: it A&D ointment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has it been since she ate the ointment? 2- Did she eat the tube as well? 3- Is she drinking more than usual?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
About 15 minutes
I caught her before she eat the tube
No
Can you expand on her urinating a lot?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She never wets on the floor but she has eliminated twice
1- Did she wet when sleeping or was it voluntary? 2- Can you list the ingredient in the A&D ointment?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Volunteer
I do not know the contents and the tube is unreadable
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, the two urine accidents are not related to the A&D, it is possible this could have just been in accident or she could have an underlying medical problem like: A urinary tract infection, bladder stones, etc. If she continues to have accidents I would have her examined by family veterinarian including a urinalysis as initial screening test. As far as the A&D ointment, this will not be toxic but she may develop diarrhea. I would keep an eye on her for the next 24 hours, if she develops diarrhea this is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.