Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I just went to dr and I have a severe allergies

Customer Question

I just went to dr for allergies and I have a severe allergies to dust mites. I have to long haired Guinea pigs and one has dandruff and as am doing research I'm finding it can be muted?? What should I do?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the mite can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the mite's name and age?
Customer: Two Guinea and one only looks like he has dandruff
JA: How old is Two Guinea?
Customer: One is 3 months other is 6 months.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Two Guinea?
Customer: R dust mites and the mites guineas maybe have the same??
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please clarify if you're asking if the dandruff of your guinea pig can be muted or your response to its dandruff can be muted. To evaluate dermatologic disorders in guinea pigs, it's important to recognize what's normal for a specific breed. For example, the Teddy and Trexel breeds seem predisposed to dry, flaky skin. We also need to be concerned with dermatophytosis (fungal infection) in guinea pigs to which young animals are more susceptible. Purebred Teddy and Teddy Satin guinea pigs appear to be the most susceptible to fungal infections which present with scaly, patchy lesions on the face, feet, and dorsum (back). The most common ectoparasites include mites which can cause lesions with white-yellow crusty areas and intense pruritis (itchiness). Lice infestation usually causes a less severe dermatitis. To answer you directly, there is no relationship between dust mites and the mites of guinea pigs (other than they're both mites). Mites and lice are species-specific but transient infection can occur in other animals but rarely in people. It would be prudent to have a pocket pet vet examine this dandruff-affected pig and treat appropriately if necessary. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. My Guinea pig doesn't have any missing patches of hair lesions. I haven't seen him itch either.
Just the dandruff, then - perhaps breed related. You may still be allergic to guinea pig dander, however...not something likely to be tested for! Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They tested me for pets like cat dog and it said Guinea pig. It's said +2 next to it. He didn't mention anything about Guinea pig to me. Just dust mites and roaches. Gross. Which was +4. He gave me my paper work as I was leaving so I didn't get to ask him.
I believe that a 2+ is neither here nor there but do check with your allergist.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I figured that since he didn't mention Guinea to me. Thanks for your help. My daughter was all worried about her guineas. I will keep an eye out for signs of mites especially since they can be fatal to them.
You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.