Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I've been treating diarrhea in my 6 month old hamster

Customer Question

I've been treating diarrhea in my 6 month old hamster for about 6 days using pepto bismol and forced hydration through a syringe. Hamster is still active, eating and drinking / stool has turned back to normal color (bc of pepto) but is still loose and hammy is still dirty at bottom. I'd like to start a course of terracyvkine (20mg/a day) bc I'm thinking it's a bacterial infection and not just stress related diareah.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Suggestions other than going to the vet? That's not possible at the moment
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in small animals and exotics. Tetratcycline is not an approved medication for small exotics and some medications can make it worse rater than better. you need to be extar cautios with the Pepto since it has acid i Salicylic in it, which can cause bleeding internally. You can try some Toast and canned Pumpkin not pie filling to help with the Diarrhea. It is a high fiber and can help with Diarrhea. Wet tail is only a symptom of another problem that is going on. I suggest before giving any Medications having the Vet look your hamster over. You can use Pedialyte diluted with water for extra hydration. Joan