Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

Want to know if goats get constipated and what to do about

Customer Question

Want to know if goats get constipated and what to do about it
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, adult goats rarely get constipated but young ones can if they are being bottle fed on milk replacers. This is because no matter how well we design our milk replacers, nothing is as good as mum's milk. As well, we often see owners make the milk replacer to strong thus leading to secondary constipation. In any case, if we were to see constipation, we do have a few options. First, we can increase their fluid intake (watering down milk for bottle babies and drenching fluids with electrolytes for older goats). This will help avoid dehydration (a reason we can see constipation) and dissolve any mild blockages. Otherwise, our further treatment options would be Milk of magnesia (dose as 1ml per 4 lbs ever 4-6 hours until stool is seen) or mineral oil (which can be dosed to effect but needs to be flavoured before drenching or otherwise given via stomach tube).Overall, we can certainly see this in bottle babies but it is less common for adults. In any case, the above would be our treatment of choice to avoid blockages from stool and help keep our goats regular. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )