Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I have a calf losing almost all its hair and I have never seen

Customer Question

I have a calf losing almost all its hair and I have never seen this in 30 years of raising cows and calves. Its not lice. I thought maybe mange. Mama Cow takes good care but when she is licking the calf hair is coming off with it and none of my herd seem to have hair loss
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Calf is around 3 weeks old and this just started in the past week. We got the cow and calf up in a pen. At first it looked like the calf got caught in the fence or something. It had a wound on its hip that was pretty bad like maybe some animal got a hold of it and we gave it an antibiotic and some bamate I think called something like that to make it feel better, but this hair coming off fast. Every day it is worse.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.Has the calf been itching or rubbing itself on items at all?Any changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, crusting, sores, redness, etc)?If you rub the area (back and forth) of hair loss, does what is left feel soft or straw like?Can you take a photo of this calf and the wound? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.