Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My friend found an abandoned puppy. I want to keep him. He

Customer Question

My friend found an abandoned puppy. I want to keep him. He looks like a chihuahua mix, maybe 3-4 weeks old. Looks healthy. What do I feed him? When does he get shots and neutered. Potty training? I need the basics covered.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. First, I would note that it is advisable to have him scanned for a microchip to just make sure he isn't lost and being looked for before deciding to keep him. If he hasn't a chip, then you can consider adopting him. If you do, he will need to be on a good quality puppy food (ie Science Diet, Eukanuba, Origin, etc) and fed according to his weight and the label requirements. In regards ***** ***** training, this can be done with potty training pads or you can crate train him and take him out hourly until he works out that he needs to go outside. Otherwise, since he is young and has an unknown history, we'd likely want to wait 1-2 weeks before having him in for a vaccination course including the DHLPP vaccine and rabies. At that stage, his vet can check his teeth to give you an idea of his exact age. And once he is 6 months, he can be neutered. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Good morning Dr. B,
Thanks for your reply. I just have a few questions. Should I take him to the vet to see if he has a chip? I'm guessing that's where scanning would happen. Although it is clearly obvious he was abandoned.
When you say adopt him, what does that mean exactly? Is there some legal procedure?
About the food, what is better for him dry food or wet food? Thanks for suggestions on good quality food. And water? Do they only drink water at this age or do they drink milk?
Do you have any good information, websites, books, etc... On good ways to potty train? I don't know what crate him means exactly. It sounds like you would leave him in a crate and take him out to go outside every hour? That is strange to me but like I said I don't know what that means exactly. I thought it was done with pee pads but would like to know how to go about training.
If you don't mind I would like some clarification and more details on those questions.
I will make an appointment for the vet for the next couple of weeks for his shots.
Thank you so much!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again, You are very welcome and it would be best to pop him into the local vets (or some shelters have readers too) to just make sure he isn't a lost pup in need of a hand getting home. Though again if he hasn't one, then you can keep him (its not a legal procedure, I just meant it as a term we often use for people taking on ownership of a dog).In regards ***** ***** the best food is the one he will eat well. I do like my patients to have a bit of both since dry is good for dental health but canned has increased water in it which is good for hydration. And otherwise, if he will eat puppy food, then he doesn't need milk at this stage.Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** dog care information, the ASPCA is quite a good reference for potty training and general care. You can find them starting with potty training (HERE). In regards ***** ***** crate, this is just a dog kennel and they only need to be in it at night time and let out hourly (he can be anywhere with you when you are home to supervise him and let him out hourly or make sure he is put on the pad hourly during the day).Take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Just checking in, how is everything going?Dr. B.