Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

Our pet conure is constipated, what can we do?

Customer Question

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in bird health. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Some additional information will help me figure out the best steps for you to take.How is your conure's appetite?What do you usually feed him/her? Has anything u usual been fed recently?How long has this been going on?Does the bird have its normal energy level?Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Dancer's appetite was OK until today. She usually drinks and eats when she gets up in the she isn't interested in either!

She only eats sunflower seeds. I tried to get her to drink some water.

She isn't interested in doing anything but sit on my shoulder.

Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. Normally, when a bird is constipated with no other symptoms, feeding some fruit or another juicy food with fiber can help with the problem. However, when they also stop eating, as yours has, we aren't looking at simple constipation. Your Conure may have an impaction or other blockage. She could have polyps or even a tumor preventing her from passing droppings. Under these circumstances, the only prudent thing to do is to see an avian vet. This site will take you to lists of vets that will help you find one near you: the meantime, dehydration is a risk. Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Until you can get to a vet, use a syringe to put some Pedilayte on the bottom of your bird's mouth once per hour. I would also try offering her some fruit. However, her condition may be serious, so try to see a vet as soon as possible.Sunflower seeds are not a good basic food for a conure. Once she recovers,Mary to introduce her to a high quality pelleted food and some fresh foods, such as fruits and vegetables, cooked whole grain pasta, beans, nuts, etc. variety is important.If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your conure will reach a full recovery.Anna