Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Will rud- x a septic system treatment harm dogs I'd they digest

Customer Question

Will rud- x a septic system treatment harm dogs I'd they digest it
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup may have ingested some Rid-X Septic System treatment, and I understand that you are concerned.The product that I found contains active bacteria culture as well as cellulase, lipase, protease, and amylase.The bacteria are of no concern.And while cellulase, lipase, protease and amylase are not toxic per se they are all digestive enzymes and if eaten in a significant quantity they can cause a fair amount of gastrointestinal upset and nausea/diarrhea.At home to try and settle his stomach you can give either:1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help him feel less nauseous. These medications are quite safe and can be used for several days if they help him feel better. If he seems at all nauseous you can try offering a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into him. If he is vomiting profusely, has a tense, painful abdomen or refuses to eat then he should see a veterinarian for hands on treatment.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****