Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

My greyhound Ernie is having moucus in s stool, He's almost

Customer Question

Hi Pearl-My greyhound Ernie is having green moucus in his stool
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Ernie?
Customer: He's almost 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ernie?
Customer: He's had parasites before and he's also licking his bum a lot.
JA: There are all sorts of infestations Ernie can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does Ernie have diarrhea?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

4- What kind of parasites has he had?

5- Is he on heartworm prevention? If so, what is the name of the medication?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he has loose stools. He often does as greyhounds tend to. His other symptoms are he's licking his bum area quite a bit the last few days. He hasn't gotten into anything out of the ordinary. He's not a 'poop' eater either.He had hooks and whips.He is on heartworm prevention but last month I gave it to him 10 days late so I'm wondering if he picked them up in between that time and when I remembered.He's always taken panacur and it's worked well.This is the first time I've ever noticed green mucus. The stool amount was also a lot less than usual.

what is the name of the heartworm medication?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sentinel. Sorry! I meant to add that.

Any blood in the stool?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, no blood.My only other thought is anal glands, but would that cause him to have that mucous?

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the green color is a sign of the intestines being over active. When the intestines are over active it will not absorb the bile and pass in the stool giving the green color. The mucus is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines); neither of these are caused by anal gland problems. He could be licking his butt because of the anal glands or he may be a little uncomfortable in the colon/rectum.

The loose stool and inflammation can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. I don't think this is related to hookworm or whipworms if he has been on sentinel and you were 10 days late. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1/2 tablespoon every 8-12 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. Keep him indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter