petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Weve noticed our 55kg bullmastiff/ ridgeback to be a bit

Customer Question

Hi. Weve noticed our 55kg bullmastiff/ ridgeback to be a bit slow the past week. Hes just over 18 months old. Weve just noticed tonite that one testicle is twice the size if not larger than the other. We have vets half hour up the road. Shall i just ring them tomorro or do i need to panic. Hes eating ok but been a bit off food. Hes drinking pooing and weeing ok and not in any distress
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Gibbs today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

If you have access to a veterinarian this evening, having him seen tonight would be the best choice. In a young dog with an enlarged testicle, a testicular torsion has to be high on the list. This is not only very painful, but can cut of the blood supply to the testicle. It should be treated as an emergency. Other rule outs could include a scrotal hernia, infection or trauma. I would not advise that you wait until tomorrow to have this evaluated.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am replying back here so as to only keep one post open on this question. I don't think it is safe to say that just because he is resting, it makes it less likely to be a torsion. Some dogs are very stoic and respond differently to pain or discomfort. I think the increased size of the testicle alone should be cause for concern.