Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My moms dog takes torbuteral 1-2 pills at night cough. I was

Customer Question

My moms dog takes torbuteral 1-2 pills at night for chronic cough. I was giving Benadryl to her other dog for itching. Not sure if I gave it to the right dog. Therefore I would have given the dog that took the torbuteral a 32 mg of benedryl and he weighs about 18 lbs
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I gave dog 18 lbs 2 torbuteral for his cough. May have also accidentally given him benedryl 32 mg which I was giving to another dog. I'm not sure which dog a gave the benedryl. Just checking to see if this could harm him
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

It's likely to be additive to the 18 lb dog's sedation from the butorphanol but 32 mg of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is within the dosing guideline of 1-2 mg/lb not to exceed a maximum of dose of 50 mg at any one time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.