Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My moms dog takes torbuteral 1-2 pills at night cough. I was

Customer Question

My moms dog takes torbuteral 1-2 pills at night for chronic cough. I was giving Benadryl to her other dog for itching. Not sure if I gave it to the right dog. Therefore I would have given the dog that took the torbuteral a 32 mg of benedryl and he weighs about 18 lbs
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I gave dog 18 lbs 2 torbuteral for his cough. May have also accidentally given him benedryl 32 mg which I was giving to another dog. I'm not sure which dog a gave the benedryl. Just checking to see if this could harm him
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

It's likely to be additive to the 18 lb dog's sedation from the butorphanol but 32 mg of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is within the dosing guideline of 1-2 mg/lb not to exceed a maximum of dose of 50 mg at any one time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.