Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog Carmella is 12 year old Pit that has recently started

Customer Question

My dog Carmella is 12 year old Pit bull that has recently started to have seizures. She has had 3 seizures in the past 2 weeks with the 2 most recent occurring today and yesterday. My vet did bloodwork and established that it wasn't caused from any organization failure. She said the next step would be to get neurological tests done. I cant afford to pay for those tests. My question is would seizure medication help if she does have a brain tumor? She seems fine afterward and still enjoys playing and taking walks. I hate seeing her suffer when the seizures do occur and I'm starting to think it may be time to get her euthanized. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Carmella. You're correct to consider brain tumor in a 12 year old pit bull because that's the most common cause of seizures in her breed at her age. Yes, anticonvulsive medication in the form of phenobarbital, levetiracetam, or zonisamide can be helpful but historically seizures related to brain tumor can be very difficult to satisfactorily manage. There's no reason for advanced testing. I'm not going to perform brain surgery on Carmella. I would see how an anticonvulsive drug affects her, however. It's not going to be curative but even palliation of the seizure activity is a reasonable outcome. Once she becomes refractory to therapy euthanasia should be considered.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.