Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

If a miniature calf was born to full size heifer and, can

Customer Question

If a miniature calf was born to full size heifer and bull, can the calf be eventually be bred? Possibly with a miniature bull? Or would it possibly throw a full size calf, which could be life threatening?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If this calf was born to full size parents, then we'd suspect this to have been a developmental fluke or at least a genetic recessive trait. Therefore, if she were to be bred to in the future, there is a significant risk that her calf would be too large for her to deliver. Since miniature stature isn't a genetic trait that has been isolated in the bovine genome, even breeding her to a miniature bull would carry a risk of an normal/oversized calf (if he happened to not be fully recessive at the same gene). Therefore, unless you were prepared to have her potentially have a C-section if she did have complications or possibly even an elective one near her due date; then it would not be advisable to breed this lass.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.