Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

Naproxen sodium 500 mg given to a full grown horse, how will

Customer Question

Naproxen sodium 500 mg given to a full grown horse , how long will it take to absorb giving 4 grams orally and how long do the effect take place and also the duration of the effects thanks.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you with this....Naproxen has been used in horses at a dosage of 5–10 mg/kg, once to twice daily. Bioavailability is lower (~50%) for naproxen than for other NSAIDs, and the elimination half-life is ~5 hr in horses. So Naproxen is absorbed very promptly but may take several days to have maximum benefit. Assuming your horse is around 400 kg then 4 gram dosing is fine once to twice daily. The duration of effect is 12-24 hours depending upon how severe the pain is and what you are treating. Problems with this NSAID are horses but stomach ulcers, bleeding and kidney and liver effects can be seen. Always dose with food.I hope this helps you but please let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

I check my computer every night so if you have additional questions let me know. Thanks

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will it help with a sore
Body or no and if so how much of a help would it be to a horse with an old
Condylar fracture that has been fixed with screw fixation is reset and no fluid hasn't been in training for a year . I also wanted to know how long naproxen would stay in a horses system. Off of the dosage we talked about earlier thanks
Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

HI, that dose is good for 12-24 hours. You might try once daily dosing first before giving twice daily. Less is better.

Yes it will help with both old fractures and body pain.....

Hope that helps, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B