Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Can a rabbit with paralysis deliver kits? My doe is due in 2

Customer Question

Can a rabbit with paralysis deliver kits? My doe is due in 2 days and isn't moving her back legs, she is eating and drinking and going to the bathroom
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Does she have any feeling in those legs? If you pinch her back toe, does she look as if she feels it?

What happened to her to cause the paralysis?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She doesn't act like she feels it. I can't say for sure what caused the paralysis it happened 2 days ago. From what I read my best guess is she was startled by something because she wasn't carried or handled. I have been doing everything that I read about for home care bed rest. I am just concerned about the delivery of the kits ...if she is capable of delivering with the paralysis.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

Unfortunately, that question isn't as straight forward as you may expect. This is because it depends how extensive the paralysis is and what nerves are being affected. If she only has loss of back limb use and still has bladder control, then she likely can deliver them. But if the site of spinal damage is high enough, then she may have lost innervation to a point where self-delivery isn't likely.

Now since diagnosing this definitively would require an MRI of the spine and we need to err on the side of what is best for her and the kits, it would be advisable to have her kits delivered by C-section. If she is due in 2 days, her vet can do this now or in 2 days time. If it is done as an elective procedure, then costs will be much reduced as compared to the usual emergency C-sections. Her vet may even carry this out at the cost of a spay (removing the uterus at the same time). As well, they could start anti-inflammatory treatment to help her spine as soon as the kits are out. So, those would be our safest options since there is serious risk of spinal damage high enough that the nerves needed for contractions won't be able to help her bring these wee ones into the world.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )