Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a 23 year old begal that is suddenly having nose

Customer Question

I have a 23 year old begal that is suddenly having nose bleeds. what can I do.
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that your kitty has been having nose bleeds. I'll do my best to help.

A nose bleed in a kitty isn't necessarily an emergency if it's a small amount of blood and they're acting normally otherwise. It could potentially become an emergency situation if the bleeding is active and continuous - meaning that it's a continuous drip without stopping. It could be something simple like the onset of an upper respiratory infection or just the dry air. Unfortunately in an older kitty we worry about things like nasal tumors, clotting issues, and high blood pressure. If its one of these, then the nose bleeds will likely continue until the underlying problem is managed (if it can be managed.). For cats with intermittent or milder nose bleeds, the vet can prescribe drops with epinephrine to place into the nostrils to slow or stop milder bleeding. At home, you can try humidifying her in case it's dry air that's the issue, and basically try to keep her calm and exercise restricted, as heavy activity is likely to make the bleeding worse. I can't imagine that she does too much in the way of heavy activity at 23 years of age anyway :) If the drip becomes continuous or she is acting ill at all, I'd consider an emergency visit - otherwise I'd call the vet when they open for further guidance.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)