Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I need to know how to ease my rabbits cold. She miserable n

Customer Question

I need to know how to ease my rabbits cold. She miserable n I hate to see her this way
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, I do need to warn you that rabbits are prone to developing pneumonia when they contract upper airway infections or colds. So, you do need to be proactive and make sure she is on a rabbit safe antibiotic to clear this.

Otherwise, there are some supportive care measures that you can initiate here for Freya. To start, if she is sneezing and congested you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer or humidifier, but often rabbits don’t like things held up to their faces. Therefore, if you have one of these consider making her a 'steam tent’ by placing her in a small cage or carrier, the nebulizer next to that, and a bed sheet over both.

As well, if she is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. You can also use non-medicated saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses) with her. To administer, you just need to tilt her head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. They do hate this, so you may want to towel wrap her first to avoid injury to her or yourself. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Finally, if you see any wane in her appetite or drinking, I would note that you can syringe her veggie baby food with her pellets crushed in. This will help keep her energy up but also get fluids into her. As well, if she does go off food, there are also OTC critical care diets (ie Oxbow, Supreme) that can help too.

Overall, we od need to tread with care if this cold is making her feel very poorly. Therefore, it'd be ideal to have her seen and antibiotics started. Otherwise, the above would be our further supportive care to clear this for her.

Finally, just in case you do need a vet for her, I'd note that the House Rabbit Society has a very good vet database @ http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )