DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

I am baby sitting my sons 10 weeks old puppy and i had no

Customer Question

Customer: I am baby sitting my sons 10 weeks old puppy and i had no idea Hydrangeas were poisionous to dogs! She chewed on a plant today and now shes vomitting. Shes vomitted 4 or 5 times and is a small puppy. Im not sure of her weight, I cleaned up the leaves a couple of hours ago. What shouyld I do???
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ive had her for 3 weeks and she has bene fine and then today she chewed on a plant that is dying that got too cold outdoors that I brought inside. She was alone with the plant fgor about 5m inutes while I showered.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes thank you!!! How do I pay?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: ok
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 11 months ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I'm sorry to hear your puppy isn't feeling well. Typically ingestion of hydrangeas just causes a lot of vomiting and diarrhea. An adult dog can usually get thorough it with just monitoring on the part of the owner. However, I worry in such a young puppy about dehydration setting in quickly. At such a young age, just like in a human infant, the effects of vomiting are much more severe. I would really recommend getting your puppy to an emergency vet for fluid therapy and some medication to help with the GI upset. If you choose to stay at home, try to encourage water intake. No food. Do not give any human medications. If the puppy is still vomiting tomorrow definitely get in to see your vet as soon as possible. I hope this helps. Best of luck.