Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog just seems to be breathing pretty hard. It's been

Customer Question

Customer: Hey there, my dog just seems to be breathing pretty hard. It's been happing for the past day or so, but we've been playing a lot so I just figured he was tired. Had diarrhea tonight, but he also took a couple of french fries off my plate earlier today - he generally has a weak stomach.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. "Breathing hard" is difficult for me to assess. Is he breathing more rapidly than usual? Is he breathing with his stomach (abdominal breathing)? Are you hearing stertor (snoring) or stridor (a high pitched sound)? I need you to do a few things for me so I can assess the urgency of his being seen by his vet...

1) Please check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Please assess his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute.

3) Please take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute should suffice. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.