Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

MY CAT HAS A ROUGH AREA ON HER CHIN AND NECK ALL OF A

Customer Question

HI MY CAT HAS A ROUGH AREA ON HER CHIN AND NECK ALL OF A SUDDEN?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Chloe's skin.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
WHATS IS IT ALL ABOUT?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

Hi... glad you're there. I'll answer your question below...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

The most common things to cause the sudden appearance of a rough area on a kittens chin are:

• dermatophytosis: this is a fungal infection of the skin, often called "ringworm"
  • a bacterial skin infection
  • feline acne (your kitten is pretty young for this)
  • Miliary dermatitis: this is a type of allergy

All of these things can have a pretty similar appearance, but your vet can do simple tests to tell the difference.

If you'd like to upload a photo, I'd be happy to have a look and perhaps I can narrow it down. Just use the paperclip icon to attach a photo.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
MY KITTEN HAS A ROUGH SPOT FROM HER NECK UPTO CHIN
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

Okay... that could be any of the things listed above. It's also important to mention that dermatophytosis is contagious and can even spread to people. That makes it even more important to find out exactly what is causing your kitten's rash.

Your original question was "What is it all about?"

I've listed the types of illnesses that can cause a rash like this.

Please let me know how I can further help you get the information you need.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

I would like to add that a rough spot in this location could also be the result of some kind of injury, including being rubbed by a collar.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

Have I been able to answer your question to your satisfaction?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

(rating option enabled)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Just checking in to ask how your kitten is doing.

Thanks!
Dr. Jo